This post has a review of water testing kits given to me in exchange for my honest opinion. There is a free instant download PDF with letter sized teaching posters that may be used in small or large group class discussions, or as a bulletin board display. It also has a giveaway of one 4-pack school testing kit from the Water Testing Kits company. The first picture shows how I set up the materials for the children.
The tests included test strips for checking four water samples for things like copper, chlorine, iron, hardness, and some chemicals. Of course, if any alarming results were found, further testing would be required. We used tap and filtered water from two cities and the biggest difference was the amount of copper in the two locations. Our city is famous for having a high iron content, but it did not test at a high level for this test. We do soften our water. A thorough test would require running water from a non-softened water faucet source. We were happy just to experiment and try out all the things the kit offered!
First, we discussed the three questions and statements asked on the free instant download printable for teachers including: Where is water found? What can be in water? and how to test water. This is a free instant download and will open here: water-educational-letter-size-teaching-posters.pdf
The educational water posters are the everybody prize. I’m having a blogiversary so there is also a Rafflecopter entry form for a chance to win a testing kit which is sent from the company after entry verification.
The testing kit was very thorough and had complete instructions, four individual sets of test strips, iron testing tablets, color coded instruction cards, and a recording booklet. We did mark the vials A, B, C, and D. After the tests are conducted, results are compared with a chart in the back of the book to see if any are too high. The kits was easy to use. We had to figure out where to lay the test strip on the card after directions (like swirl three times and wait 45 seconds or whatever) and then how to follow the lines to the colors revealing the levels. Then, the amounts were added to the recording booklet.
We used a turkey baster and also medicine measuring devices to fill the vials with the different samples of water.
We used the iPad timer for the different tests requiring 10, 45, or 60 seconds wait time before the tests were finished. Really, these experiments were so interesting no one minded the wait times at all.
Sometimes we thought the results were a little between two scores, so we marked over the line for two different values.
Water Testing Kits 4-Pack Box
This is what the test kit box looks like before opening. We hope you might get one in your hands soon by entering our giveaway, below. One interesting note is that for only a water hardness test, the local hardware store offers an in-store test station. That might be interesting for your children. When we had well water for the last 12 years, we took our water to a company and waiting for results by mail. It was a more extensive procedure and not very fun for children!
Thank you for reading, Carolyn
What is the prize?
- A 4-student water testing kit sent directly from watertestingkits.com (regular price $29.99)
Who is eligible?
- This is a giveaway open to anyone 18 and older for people living in the continental United States. It is open to school and homeschool teachers, and interested parents.
How to enter:
- Please enter on the Rafflecopter form. If you have questions about the Rafflecopter form, take a look at this 52-second video with directions for entering through Rafflecopter.
- The giveaway is open through May 29, 2017 at midnight Central Standard Time. All entries will be verified! Good luck!
- The winner will be notified within 24 hours after the close of the giveaway and will have 24 hours to respond. If winner does not respond within 24 hours, a new winner will be chosen. I am very sorry if you do not check your email and miss this opportunity.
- Winners for the contest will be posted as soon as a entry has been verified and the winner has responded to the email.
- Watertestingkits.com is responsible for delivery of the prize. Email to winners will be from cwilhelm @ thewiseowlfactory.com.